Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Words, Expressions & Impressions

It's nice to travel and see how language is associated with one's culture. I remembered my trip to the North England. I was greeted by a man, "Morning luv, can I help you luv?" Hmm...puzzled for a moment, my inner voice was saying "why on earth he used the word - LUV? I'm not so much related to him!" In my culture, we don't greet someone we barely know with such word, do we? I don't think so.

On my way to Sydney from Brisbane recently, I met a guy who was rather friendly for an australian. Well, I have nothing against Australians. It's just that they have got quite a 'reputation' I would say. After a while, I found out that he wasn't an Australian but an Irish instead. We had a bit of conversation...bla...bla...bla... and it was time to go. "So, nice talking to you and see ya" came out from my mouth. He was then replied "You too, and you take care!" . 'YOU TAKE CARE' what is that supposed to mean? Should I be extra careful? (remember I mentioned about Australians and 'reputation'). The word 'YOU TAKE CARE' really bothered me till I met another person (a lady) who happens to be an Australian. We were waiting for our connecting flight at the Sydney Airport. She was interested in knowing whether I have had any unpleasant treatment on my visit. "No" I said. She then explained to me that there are groups of people who extremely go against Asian and a person like me who is obviously not from here (referring to my wearing of hijab). "Aah I see... no wonder the guy who sat next to me on the flight from Brisbane said YOU TAKE CARE" I told her. Then she replied "No, no, no. You take care is an expression that most Australians use to say GOOD BYE." Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourite Link

Here are some of my favourite sites: SupyanHussin Conference Alerts

About Me

Nothing much about me...