Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dressed to Kill

How many of us really concern about how we look like or how we dress up? For me the way I dress represents my mood and feelings. Seldom I dress to kill...I think?! Though sometimes I do dress up to the nines. Perhaps it's worth spending our money to look nice and to feel great.

I keep reminding (without fail) my students to dress smart. Smart enough not to show others of certain parts of the body...which shouldn't necessarily be revealed and that could cause learning distractions.At one point, I did make it compulsory for my teacher trainees to dress accordingly for my class...and for those who refused to do so would be kept outside the four walls. What was I thinking at that time? Was I really mean to my students? I guess not! I in fact was concerned about bringing up an image of Malaysian teachers who will be the role model of our future generations.

Dress appropriately! Dress appropriately! No short skirts! No open-toed shoes! No flip-flops! Be confident! No big dangling earrings! No jeans! These are some the NOs for the teachers to be - Malaysian teachers to be.

Knowing how to dress smart and according to situations certainly helps us from being outlandish. We certainly don't want to be a 'clown' of an event, do we? However, there are people who dress up just to attract attention, these people would overdo themselves to make sure eyes of others would fall on them. Just imagine an Asian lady walking in a t-shirt with a short skirt and a 3" high-heeled boots to class during winter in NZ! (Hey, that wasn't me eh!). What was she intended? I couldn't say much, perhaps she dressed to kill...literally.

1 comment:

  1. i think m'sians in msia tend to dress too formally..

    i used to think it's "smart" to go to lectures wearing bj kurung and the guys wearing kemeja.. (time kt matrik n uitm). but now this changed. now it kinda look "poyo"..

    having lived in nz, where u can't recognise between students n lecturers has made me feel the freedom to dress whichever way u like is a good thing, it lets u express ur way of doing things. also i feel it narrows the gap between students n teachers. it trained myself not to judge ppl by what they wear..

    but i do realise what's waiting for me when i go back to join in the workforce.. imagine going to work in the lab wearing bj kurung n heels, and top that with a labcoat plus the heat. just great. just great.

    ReplyDelete

Favourite Link

Here are some of my favourite sites: SupyanHussin Conference Alerts

About Me

Nothing much about me...